Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

When dreams come true.....

I clearly remember the day, it was in 2010, during my final year of journalism. I was interning at Centre for Environment Education (CEE) and for a research assignment I had landed up in Centre for Media Studies (CMS).
I don't remember the assignment too well, but do remember that I wanted to visit the library to watch a documentary- 'Don't Rubbish It'. Little did I know that the 9min documentary would shape my so called 'interest area'. A minute or so in the documentary was devoted to composting. And it was then that I got to know about this lovely organisation called Daily Dump in Bangalore (http://dailydump.org/).
The Director Ms.Poonam Bir Kasturi has designed a series of products suitable for household composting.
I fell in love (not kidding!) with the three tier khamba model. It was beautiful and could be kept anywhere (verandah or balcony) and what I liked the most was: It made composting so much more easier!

Looking back, I feel this encounter was one of the many reasons why I chose my Masters in Sustainable Development Practice, after a journalism degree. And "no regrets" is what I'l say :)

Roughly a year later, when it was time for my summer internship, the choice was obvious: Something to do with solid waste management. Previously, through an assignment I had conceptualized a small project proposal of a community awareness project using the same model. It turned out to be good on paper and I thought why not pass it around, seek a grant and actually implement it! So 2011 summer was spent in 'dreaming' about this project of mine. My idea was to reach out to urban homes through a network of 'kitchen garden ladies'. Yes, you'l be surprised to know, something like an All India Kitchen Garden Association exists in our world!
And this network was wide spread in South Delhi colonies, as I got to know. So, for start I attended one such meet in my own colony- Sarita Vihar. I knew one of the aunties who was a member. So, I tagged along one day and did an experiment. I carried some pics of the pot and a self-compiled pamphlet using the information given on the Dailydump website. And the response was good.

Out of the 11 ladies present, almost all of them found the pot very pretty and something they could actually keep at their place (Acceptability checked!)
3 of them wanted to order one instantly, 5 wanted to see the pot in person and then decide. Remaining were a bit skeptical because of the price (Rs.1000) (Affordability-almost checked)
But, currently the nearest Dailydump clone (they believe in creative commons approach) was in Gurgaon. So getting the pots was an issue (Accessibility- needs attention)

Next, I made a trip, the most memorable one. I contacted the clone- Jaya aunty and I travelled 3 hrs (to and fro) in metro from Jasola to Gurgaon, just to see the pots and interact with her. I had decided, one day I'l acquire cloneship, find a local potter and start supplying them locally.
The visit was fulfilling, enchanting and exciting. I found the common factor of passion between us. Aunty has been a clone since 3 yrs and devotes her weekends in making people aware about the practice through demonstrations etc. She stocks the terracota pots in her backyward and verandah and receives most of her orders through the DailyDump website.
I was inspired and I told her my plans. She supported me and told me that they needed a clone in Delhi!

So time flew, college took over my routine and one fine day I got the good news! As part of British Council's International Climate Champion programme, I was in the 'Social Action Project' team of their National Action Project. Two of our team's ideas got selected to receive a small funding (One was mine :D).

This was December. Today, is 6th May and finally after a long long wait I brought two sets of these beautiful pots home. What caused the delay was a mix of problems like: Logistics, Supply-side issues, erratic supply from potter's side!
But the important thing is, they are here :) and they are the apple of my eyes :p
I drove for more than an hour, took my parents along and stuffed the pots into our Swift! One set is for my own use, and the other set is for the demo events (planned up for the coming few months).
Last when  I had contacted the Kitchen Garden Association head, she was ready to give me slots to speak. But back then, I was not ready. Over the time, I have prepared myself and I am ready to kickstart my dream project.
The grant is waiting to be used, infact funding requirement for my project is mainly for meeting the travel expenditure. Thats all! There is very little cost in advertising, promotion. Since, the pot and me are enough to make people aware :)

My ultimate dream/mission is to make the urban residents adopt the practice of composting so that we handle our own waste responsibly. And send less waste to the landfill and more importantly send 'unmixed' waste. You see, by composting at home we'l all be segregating waste automatically (a habit missing in us!).

Coincidentally, this legendary day as I call it marks the beginning of 'International Composting Awareness Week' (May 6-12) http://www.compostweek.com.au/core/background/
I would like to believe some things are destined :)

I will be posting about composting on my new blog: http://come-n-post.blogspot.in/
Join me there! Till then, DREAM ON... because they come true :)








3 comments:

snow leopard said...

good luck rozita...

Priyanka said...

Rozita Good luck! I am trying to get my Khamba too! Hope to see you at my AIKGA meet in Vasant kunj!its a big group!

Rozita Singh said...

thank you snow leopard and priyanka :) yes, priyanka I'l be coming there soon.